12 vs 4 in Blackjack – What’s the Best Strategy?

12 vs 4 blackjack

1 minute

Last Updated: February 21, 2024

In the 12 vs. 4 blackjack situation, it is tricky for players to navigate the best solution. When the dealer has a face-up card of 4, they have a 40% chance of going bust. This means that if you stand on your 12, you will lose 60% of the time, which is quite a huge margin. 

On the other hand, if you decide to hit, you will lose about 58% of the time and win 42% of the time. There is also the probability of ending up in a push and your wager being returned, but there is a slim chance of that happening. The choice to hit or stand does not severely move the needle in this context, as the difference in outcome isn’t so different.

Players need to note that the chances of going bust for the dealer are high in this situation, so they should factor that into their decision-making process. Aggressive players should hit and try to get as close to 21 as they possibly can to solidify their chances. 

Conservative players can choose to stand and take their chances with what they have against the face-up 4 card. Choosing to hit should also be the answer if the player is proficient at card counting and uses a basic blackjack strategy. That way, the player can have a good idea of the value of the remaining cards and if it is wise to hit or stand. Either way, 12 vs 4 is a favorable matchup for the player. 

Disclaimer: content on mypokercoaching.com may contain affiliate links to online gambling operators and other sites. When you use our affiliate links, we may earn a commission based on our terms of service, but that does not influence the content on the site since we strictly follow our editorial guidelines. Learn more about how we make money and why we always stick to unbiased content. All content on this site is intended for those 21 or older or of legal gambling age in their jurisdiction.

Copyright © iBetMedia UAB. All rights reserved. Content may not be reproduced or distributed without the prior written permission of the copyright holder.