13 vs 2 in Blackjack – What’s the Best Strategy?

13 vs 2 blackjack

1 minute

Last Updated: March 1, 2024

Knowing what to do in a 13 vs. 2 blackjack situation can be a little tricky. In the case of a soft hand (Ace plus 2) against the dealer’s 2 upcard, you can simply hit. There’s barely any risk of going over 21 in this situation since you can count your ace as 1 instead of 11. However, in the case of a hard hand (no ace), the player is in a tight spot. 

If you choose to stand, you’re banking on the dealer going bust. For this to happen, the dealer has to draw high-value cards in a row in addition to the upcard. Generally, you have to weigh the chances of this happening against the chance of you improving your hands from your starting point of 13. 

Generally, if you choose to hit, the odds of you winning are approximately 32%. However, the odds of playing a losing hand is 63%. Should you choose to stand with 13, your odds of winning are slightly higher (35%), while the odds of losing is about 65%. 

At the end of the day, it’s a close call between standing and hitting in a 13 vs. 2 situation. In terms of basic blackjack strategy, standing does give you a slight edge, which is why we would recommend this action instead of hitting. 

Disclaimer: content on mypokercoaching.com may contain affiliate links to online gambling operators and other sites. When you use our affiliate links, we may earn a commission based on our terms of service, but that does not influence the content on the site since we strictly follow our editorial guidelines. Learn more about how we make money and why we always stick to unbiased content. All content on this site is intended for those 21 or older or of legal gambling age in their jurisdiction.

Copyright © iBetMedia UAB. All rights reserved. Content may not be reproduced or distributed without the prior written permission of the copyright holder.