What Is A Coin Flip In Poker?

1 minute

Last Updated: December 18, 2023

What Is A Coin Flip In Poker

A coin flip is a term that poker players use when referring to situations in which two players are all-in, and each player has around a 50% chance of winning the hand.

The term “coin flip” comes from the fact that both players have an equal chance of winning the hand, just like with flipping a coin where there is a 50% chance that the coin will land on either side.

Coin flip situations are most common in poker MTTs, particularly in the later stages, where players are often forced to go all-in with marginal hands to accumulate chips and stay alive in the tournament.

It is important to note that although the terms insinuate that both players have an equal chance of winning the pot, in most situations, one hand is a slight favorite based on the correct percentages.

In most coin flips, there are two overcards against a pocket pair like AK vs. QQ, AK vs. JJ, QJ vs. 66, KQ vs. TT, etc., and the pocket pair is always a slight favorite.

Poker Coin Flip Example:

Imagine that you are playing in a poker tournament, you go all in with AK suited for the last 20bb, and one of your opponents makes a call with a pair of Qc Qh.

This all-in would be characterized as a coin flip. In fact, the AK vs. QQ hand has become synonymous with the term, as these two hands create the most common coin-flip situation in poker.

However, although the term insinuates that both combinations have the same chance of winning the hand, you will see that As Ks has a 46.02% chance of winning the hand, Qc Qh has a 53.59% chance of winning the hand, and there is a 0.39% chance that the hand will end in a split pot if you put this in a poker odds calculator.

<< View All Poker Terms



Disclaimer: content on mypokercoaching.com may contain affiliate links to online gambling operators and other sites. When you use our affiliate links, we may earn a commission based on our terms of service, but that does not influence the content on the site since we strictly follow our editorial guidelines. Learn more about how we make money and why we always stick to unbiased content. All content on this site is intended for those 21 or older or of legal gambling age in their jurisdiction.

Copyright © iBetMedia UAB. All rights reserved. Content may not be reproduced or distributed without the prior written permission of the copyright holder.